Saturday, March 26, 2011

To Create a More Balanced View

When I've written about the special nature of our liveaboard life, I'm not providing the full picture of all that's involved. Given the few challenges I've worked through in recent days, I feel compelled to fill in some of the missing pieces.

It's not difficult to fill in some of our time here in the harbor by repairing and replacing equipment on the boat that has broken down as a result of our travels. Although boats are designed and built for the marine environment, it can be a challenge to keep it all working.

We bought this boat new and moved aboard thirteen years ago this month. Buying new meant that we could avoid, in the short term at least, many of the challenges faced by those who buy a used boat. But by now – thirteen years later – we can no longer depend on everything working without breakdowns.

Here is a list of what I've worked on since we left Virginia in late October: The auto pilot motor burned out on the trip down. It's a valuable asset, particularly for the overnight ocean passages, so we had to buy and install a whole new unit. I couldn't get replacement parts, since the company no longer makes the same unit. The VHF radio wireless microphone began to show signs of not working, encouraging me to upgrade with a radio that also includes AIS. (More on this function perhaps in a later blog.) The new radio is now installed complete with connection to our GPS. My SSB/HAM radio for long distance communications was also not functioning as it should. Fortunately I was able to solve its problems without too much effort. I got it running again after talking with other HAMs (amateur radio operators). After having issues with the batteries we depend on for all our electrical equipment along with our lights and water pump, I bought a battery monitor to help me evaluate them on an ongoing basis. Ultimately, I was forced to replace two of the four batteries. Of course, these were five years old, so I didn't feel too bad about having to replace them. Others suggested that batteries generally last less than four years.

I've also had issues with the head which are now resolved. (For you landlubbers, that's the toilet.) The hot water heater began to leak, so I had to take it out and replace it with a new one. By the way, during our time in Boot Key Harbor on the mooring, we don't have hot water. I knew we'd not need the heater for some time yet, but we couldn't have it leaking constantly.

Then there's the outboard motor for our dinghy that has been a periodic nightmare for the four years we've owned it. After taking the carburetor apart several times and replacing different pieces in an attempt to resolve its current issues, I finally traded it in for a new one.

My situation isn't unique. Other boaters I've talked with are tackling similar challenges as well, although this has been a particularly troublesome time for me. The marine environment is tough on all sorts of equipment. You may have noticed that I didn't mention calling in a mechanic, a plumber or electrician as a part of these repairs or replacements. Because cruisers are often in areas where such expertise is either unavailable or way too expensive, they learn to do as much of their own work as they can. This is also an example of where the boating community is important. In places like Boot Key Harbor where many boaters gather, there is usually someone nearby who has successfully tackled the problems others may be facing for the first time. One of the benefits of the daily radio net is that it makes it easier for those in need to find help. In some ways our situation can be compared to settlers in a new territory working together to build homes and tackle other challenges. I did break down and call in a mechanic to look at the outboard at one point before I traded it in. Otherwise I tackled each project myself, making a few calls to tech support when things got over my head or the installation guide was unclear. A friendly boater also helped at one point.

In addition to saving a good deal of money by doing these repairs/replacements myself, I also gained satisfaction in completing each myself. Whenever a new challenge arises, Sandra will tell you that my response is, “It's not rocket science.” I should therefore be able to successfully overcome this new challenge, and if not on my own or from reading one of several manuals I have on the boat, then I may be able to find another boater who can assist in overcoming whatever I face. The bottom line for all this is the fact that the boating life is challenging, but the cruising community is so strong in many areas that it balances out the challenges and allows us still to love the experience.

So Carpe Diem!

Captain Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment