Saturday, April 2, 2011

In Support of Ham Radio

Many people watching the news lately have, no doubt, heard lots about the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan. What you may not have heard was that many amateur radio operators (Hams) were at work in Japan and around the world helping with communication as people sought various forms of help. This scenario plays out in times of need all over the world. These unsung helpers are just ordinary people like you and me who have chosen the hobby of amateur radio.

Long before we actually began our cruising life, we read lots of books about cruising. In a number of the “how to” books, there was encouragement to get an amateur radio or “Ham” license. It seems that the Hams run a number of radio nets set up to facilitate communication for cruisers. Additionally when one is in need of help while out at sea or in a remote region, Hams may provide an important and perhaps the only link with the outside world.

While still living in snowy New Hampshire, I decided to follow the advice and get my Ham license. My father, who was a Ham, helped by giving me my first Ham radio for local communication. I met another Ham who had also recently started up in amateur radio. We talked on the radio and both joined a local club. Later Sandra gave me a Ham radio that was used for long distance communication. In support, she also got her license.

Unfortunately, I drifted from Ham radio before really beginning our cruising life. Although I checked into one of the maritime nets now and then, I rarely took advantage of the potential support while cruising.

For some reason this winter I decided to give amateur radio another look. As mentioned in an earlier blog, I first had to get my radio working again. Then I did some reading to refresh my understanding of the possibilities and the procedures used. A group of Hams met here in Marathon for lunch on a weekly basis, so I joined them for a few of those meals and learned more in the process.

I also got in touch with my NH Ham friend and have re-established periodic conversations with him over the radio.

So I've once again been reminded that Ham radio is a valuable resource as we travel and as we attempt to learn about places we visit. Additionally, those who read this blog can see where we are on a map of the world by checking into a website called: shiptrak.org and typing in my radio call sign: N1SFR. Right now you would notice that we are located in Marathon, of course, but you'll be able to follow our progress up the coast once we start moving again. This is possible through one of the Ham nets that offers the service of posting my position as I report it whenever I check in to that net.

So re-establishing my Ham connections is certainly self-serving but also offers another reason for my participation. As I've already mentioned here, these nets perform an important service to others in times of emergency when normal avenues of communication are unavailable. It's through these nets that they establish procedures and provide experience to the many volunteers who can be helpful when called upon in an emergency. Perhaps this is a small way for me to support all the good they do in times of need while also preparing myself to be one more volunteer. And it's a way of helping others without the need for me to stay in one place.

Then, of course, it is pretty cool to talk on the radio to someone on the other side of the country...or perhaps the other side of the world!

Captain Bob
Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment